This Monday I got started on my project by diving right into the KSRL’s University Archives. Armed with a computer and the student organization finding aid, I sat myself down to examine the contents of the Greek organization records.
One of the problems I encountered was that the finding aid for student organizations at KU is incredibly broad and not very organized. Mixed in with Greek life records are archives of other groups on campus, some that are student groups and some not. This means the finding aid is 22 pages long, and offers no real description of what is in each box. For example, Delta Tau Delta’s archives simply stated “records” when in actuality it had alumni newsletters, personal correspondence and their own annual publication.
My task yesterday was then to go through each of the boxes and make notes of the contents and any other interesting things. I did this through an excel document, which I’ll run by the archivists, Becky and Letha. By knowing what materials are actually archived from the Greek chapters, I benefit by then knowing exactly what to materials to ask for from the chapters. Symbiotically, the archives benefits from having a more detailed description to add to the finding aid. While I personally cannot change the finding aid myself (this is the domain of the processing department at SRL) I am hoping that this can get the ball rolling to reform the finding aid in the future!
Yesterday, I looked through the records of Delta Tau Delta, Alpha Gamma Delta, Phi Delta Theta, Kappa Delta, Pi Kappa Alpha, and Alpha Epsilon Pi. Onward and upward!